Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WOW! What a Day!

Dwain is putting together a program for the park. It will include a hike, nature, wildlife and photography. I am to be involved in some capacity. Right now, I don't know how I will fit. I may figure it out while I'm attending the program.

This morning Dwain said he wanted to take a hike. He wanted me to go with him. My heart sank. How can I? I remembered what he said when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was having a pity party thinking of all the activities I will no longer be able to participate in. When we were talking about hiking, he said, "Don't worry. We will stop when you need to and we will enjoy the scenery 'til you are ready to continue." I think of that conversation often. Dwain made it impossible for me to FAIL. So off we went for a mile and a quarter hike. It was tough, with alot of rocks and roots. There were many places on the trial where you had to be careful. If you weren't, you would end up falling in a canyon with a rushing river. We did stop several times while climbing. We crossed the river once and climbed switchbacks. Our destination was a beautiful waterfall. Every muscle hurt and I didn't think I would make it. Dwain said anytime I wanted to turn around and go back, we would. I knew that if I can feel the pain while doing the activity, I have over extended myself and will pay for it later. We still had the mile and a quarter return trip. :(

We arrived at the waterfall and it was gorgeous. We took Lucy. Initially she was afraid of the roar of the powerful water. She settled down and explored the area. I dunked her feet in the water hoping it would help with the heat. We gave her water often and she did well. As did I...

2 comments:

  1. i am so glad you went and were able to go for the hike. What a beautiful sight that must have been! A waterfall. I just love them! I can just imagine little Lucy near the waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel. I am always tryingto prove I can do what everyone else can do and often that is waaaaay too much. But I also know the feeling of accomplishment, for me, is way worth the pain. You should check out my blog. I play roller derby and it has been a Godsend for my Fibromyalgia.
    http://fibrogirl.com
    Tell me what you think. Good LucK

    Sincerely
    The Incredible FALK

    ReplyDelete